Sunday, November 16, 2008

What A Weekend

Friday night, our friend Cristina came over to babysit while Geoff and I headed downtown to take in Night At The Museums. This is the 2nd year (I think) they've done this. Museums stay open late, for free, and you can museum hop. Shuttles were added this year, to make it easier. It was a chilly night, and we only made it to one museum, the Denver Art Museum. We ran into some friends there, and I discovered that I'm not all that crazy about modern art. Most of the pieces left me feeling disturbed, or depressed. There were a few standouts, like Fox Games



And the Houdon exhibit from the Louvre. Next year, I think we'll try to start earlier, and hit the Molly Brown House and the Natural History Museum.

Saturday night, I got the opportunity to attend the Starz Film Festival and see Slumdog Millionaire.



I heard good buzz about it, and it lived up to it. I think it will fare okay around Oscar time. I was the guest of a co-worker of Kelly's, who moved here to Denver with his wife. Back to the movie, it was moving, and at times hard to watch, other times I was laughing out loud. I obviously don't get out to the movies much (this was my 4th this year!), but I would encourage everyone to see it when it opens near you.

I think the one thing I walked away with was how blessed I am, to not have to beg for a living. I had parents, a house, clothes and toys. Seeing children begging and stealing to get by, it's hard to imagine. For me, anyways. I've lead a sheltered life, the "bad side" of Edmonton pales in comparison to the slums of Bombay/Mumbai.

In tv news, Top Chef is back, and there are two cheftestants from Colorado. Whoo! Represent! And are you watching Fringe? Because you should be. I'll close with a quote from it.

Walter: (on the phone) Uh, hello, Peter. This is me, your father. Walter Bishop.
Peter: Thank you, Walter, I know who you are.
Walter: Excellent.

No comments: