Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Activism

I don't think I'm an activist. I'm not sure I'd want to be, given that the word seems to have negative connotations to me. I guess there was a vigil/protest/whatever last night in Denver regarding the execution of Tookie Williams. Who was in attendance? Well Ward Churchill of course! (and you all know what I think of him) And this guy who thinks the Denver Police is out to get him & his family (he's on the news a lot). I dunno, it just seems weird to me. There is a gathering of people who didn't think Williams should die, and the stay of execution was denied, so what's the point of people in Denver meeting, when this guy is being killed in CA? What does it accomplish? It doesn't change what is going to happen, it's done. I would understand wanting to hold a vigil to honor a life of someone who has died, but to have megaphones and signs just seems so out of place to me.

I have opinions and beliefs that I feel strongly about. But I've never been to a protest or made a sign to express my opinion. Maybe I should. But frankly, I'm afraid to. I'm afraid physical violence would be bestowed upon me, because I don't share the opinions of the other people. And isn't that funny? Because aren't a lot of protesters trying to promote peace?

Anyways, I'll close with a quote from PCU.

President Garcia-Thompson: You passed out cigarettes for a smoke-a-thon on Earth Day. You installed speed bumps on the handicapped ramps and, most recently, you dumped 100 pounds of... MEAT on a peaceful vegan protest!
Droz: Oh, come on! That was way more than 100 pounds.

No comments: