Sunday, January 17, 2010

Adventures In Eating

I'm sure it is a documented fact that Melissa & "experimental eater" are not words often found in sentences. I even blogged back in November about my picky palate.

Reading through a Whole Foods newsletter, I was struck by the idea of eating sausage, beans & rice. I had never thought to try it before, and once I committed to the idea, I still wasn't sure how it was going to be prepared.

I always cook my rice in my Zojirushi rice cooker (it's awesome!). As for beans, I usually eat them from a can, and even then they are only ever red or kidney. When my husband suggested black eyed peas, I was a little frightened. What would they taste like? Would they taste like peas? Or worse?

To add further experiment to the dish, I picked up some andouille sausage at the meat department. Never tried it before, always a little afraid it might be too spicy. Which might scare me, but worse, might turn off Elijah, who won't eat anything remotely spicy.

I left it to Geoff to find a recipe, and he did (thanks Emeril!). I left the entire dish to him to concoct, save the rice, which I can make.

Here's the finished product:



End results? Not bad. The first bite threw me a little, because I wasn't sure what to expect. But I cleaned my plate, as did everyone else. A new dish to add to the recipe binder!

No comments: