Monday, January 04, 2010

Best Vacation

I'm hard pressed to pick the best vacation I ever took. I can think of three trips, one solo, one with Hubby, and one with the family. Rather than cop out and list them as three separate posts, I'll post them all here.

Best Solo Trip: Washington, D.C.

me at the Lincoln Memorial

Hands down, this was the most successful trip I took alone. Geoff graciously let me leave him with two small children for a weekend so I could finally visit Kelly in D.C. Wow, what a city. 3 days there wasn't enough time to see everything I wanted to see, and spend enough time with my favorite cousin. Aside from all the fun I had with her, my favorite moment was walking alongside the empty reflecting pond (it was January), just me and a cold winter wind. It was peaceful, and a wonderful experience.

Best Trip As A Couple: Glasgow, Scotland

Botanical Gardens

I still can't believe that I went to Scotland! Even with the misfortunes we had: missing the first day of our trip due to bad Colorado weather and being ill most of the trip (morning sickness unbeknownst to me), Glasgow was everything I wanted it to be. Man it was green! I loved the old buildings, seeing the Clyde river out of our hotel room, the funny restaurant that had pancakes displayed in their front window, and lunching at The Willow Tea Room. If it weren't so pricey, I'd be back in a heartbeat. Sigh, someday.

Best Family Trip: Laguna Beach, California

Group shot on the beach

Renting a cottage 6 blocks from the beach, with a deck that could see the ocean, and 3 rooms that held 4 adults & 4 kids was well worth the price we paid! It was also worth the price to be able to have my boys meet and play with their cousins. Living in Orange County for 4 years, we never took the chance to explore the neat places Laguna Beach offered. This trip we found it wonderful to be able to walk down to the main street and see the unique shops, and dine in new places. It was a wonderful time for all of us.

I hope that in a few years, I'll be able to revisit this list and hopefully have some new competition for best vacation.

2 comments:

KJT said...

Yes! I made it! Seriously, though, it was so fun to show you around DC a bit and spend some quality cousin time with you. I always think back to that visit. I can't wait until you come back. You have to at least see my view. :)

I'm still very jealous that you've been to Scotland. I hope to make it there one day. I think I want to visit Edinburgh.

And I recall checking out Laguna Beach that time I visited you in Irvine. It was so much fun, I loved the vibe there.

Lucky Zelda said...

The deck could SEE!!! Wow. That would make for a special trip. :-p