Thursday, December 02, 2004

Oh Canada!
So I read on a few blogs that the CBC put out a contest for people to pick who they thought was (trumpet sound) The Greatest Canadian! There were names on the list I didn't know, and names who are way unworthy. But it was funny to look at.

Last night, I was flipping through the channels, and I saw a familiar face. It was Rick Mercer (#50 on the list). He was on a PBS program NewsHour, along with Mark Kingwell, a professor from Toronto, and Margaret Wente, from The Globe & Mail. I had my doubts that there would be intelligent thoughts coming from The Globe & Mail, as the only other person from that paper I saw on American television was a tool. But Wente, Kingwell and Mercer all presented themselves terrificly. Even though I did not agree with some things they said, they could at least say it intelligently. The best comment I heard was something I've been saying for a long time, but it doesn't always get through to people. Margaret Wente said Canadians don't understand the U.S. as well as they think they do, and Mark Kingwell agreed. But Kingwell added that Canada is far more different from America than Americans think. My other favorite comment, again by Wente was, "I think sometimes Canadians tend to be too obsessed with the past". That's so Canada! That's me, that's people I know! :) You can read a transcript of it here.

Speaking of Canada, it's still chilly here. We haven't gotten any new snow, but the temperature has been cold enough that the ice isn't quite melting. I slipped on a patch of it today while I was doing my errands. I'm fine, my hand and butt broke my fall. I wasn't paying attention to walking, which I should be doing with my growing body.

I am nearly done my shopping! I really have only Geoff's stocking stuffers to buy, and a gift for my favorite cousin. We got gifts from Colin, Dawn & Dylan yesterday and they are sitting under the tree. I'm hoping to post a picture of the tree maybe this weekend. The Christmas letter we send out is practically done, but I haven't begun to think about what we're doing about cards. In past years I stamped my own, but wasn't up to it this year. I can't believe how large our Christmas card list is, we need to stop making friends or something. :)

I have Saturday off work, which is nice. Geoff and I will be able to observe our Peet's ritual. That's all that we really have planned for the weekend.

Kevin Smith is super excited to be doing a guest spot on Degrassi: The Next Generation. He says it's fulfilling a life long dream. Dude, that is hilarious. I now have to close with a quote from The Drew Carey Show that sums up Kevin's life long dream.

Kate O'Brien: Yeah, is pathetisad a word?

No comments: