Thursday, April 21, 2005

Road Trip?

So flights to Calgary aren't so available in the time frame we were looking at. There are some available in August, but Grampy & Nana will be in Victoria. So we're thinking about driving up to Alberta. Which sounds kinda fun, but also kinda scary. I don't know how long it would take with the wee one. We're supposed to call the airline again next week to see if anything opened up.

The museum's volunteer appreciation luncheon was today, and Elijah and I went. I was very disappointed in the number of people there I knew, and also in the food. It was better last year. I didn't stay long, opting instead to go to the mall & Peet's. Stopped in at Harry & David's to see Jen & Nicole. Elijah was being really good, and Jen and Nicole each got to hold him, which they loved. I pray that someday Jen gets to have a baby, as she really wants one. And she was such a natural with Elijah. I remember the disappointment I felt when it took so long to conceive, and I can see it in her face.

Gary (the car) is going in for a check up next week. The service light went on the other day, and he is over his 100,000 miles. Hopefully it won't break us. Gary's been a good car, so we really can't complain. Plus if we do end up taking him on this road trip, it'll be good to have him looked at.

After giving it more thought, I do think we'll end up passing on attending Angela & Craig's wedding. I am considering going up to Edmonton for the post-wedding reception at the end of January. There will be a reception and dance. I know, taking a trip to the frozen tundra of Canada in January is crazy.

I was walking with Elijah yesterday, listening to my iPod, and it played Have A Nice Day (Stereophonics) and it reminded me of California. Driving to work, or down the PCH looking at the ocean. I feel like those 4 years in California are like a dream. A life I never really lived. It's crazy, I know, it just feels like forever ago. I feel that way about Edmonton too. The longer I stay in a new place, the more it feels like I've always been here.

I took a quiz called How Canadian Are You? I scored 13. Here's what it says about me: While you have not achieved the Canadian ideal, the wishy-washiness of your score is very Canadian in its own right. You don't take nutmeg on your rice pudding because it's too spicy.

I'm going to close with a quote from Newsradio.
[Talking about his vacation in Japan]
Matthew: You would've loved it, David. A week in a foreign country, strange people, strange customs...
Dave: Oh, I know what you mean. I've been to Canada.

No comments: