Friday, October 14, 2005

Parenthood

Yesterday was the two year anniversary of losing Dad. It was mostly a day like any other. I don't miss him more on that day than any other day.

Mom To Mom has been going well. Last week was a great session on marriage, the myths that women have going into marriage, and how those myths can ruin a marraige. It was almost laughable, the names of people I know who have these myths, and most of those marriages ended in divorce. In case you are curious...

Myth 1: But I thought marriage would make me happy-fill the hole in my heart.
Myth 2: But I thought marriage would make me whole-would complete or heal me.
Myth 3: But I thought it all depended on marrying the right person-but he looks less like "Mr. Right" than he used to!
Myth 4: But I thought love would "conquor all"-since we loved each other, everything would fall into place.

Sound like people you know?

This week's session would have been better if the guest speaker had stuck to his topic, instead of spouting off his personal opinion on stuff, and throwing out statistics, both of which could be misinterpreted. Needless to say, I will talk with my Titus II mom (Julie) and perhaps even the woman who runs Mom To Mom at our church. I just left feeling like he was scaring moms, and really they should do their own research on stuff, not just take his word as gospel.

The weather has been getting warmer every day, today was gorgeous. Sunday, we're having couples group over here to carve pumpkins, and Geoff is making his ever popular pumpkin pie. Incidentally, if you are interested in carving a pumpkin, and want it to last, spread vaseline inside and on your cuts.

When you see the hurricane symbol on the news weather, does it make you think of Meatwad? Or is that just me?

I'm going to close now with a quote from O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Tommy Johnson: I had to be up at that there crossroads last midnight, to sell my soul to the devil.
Ulysses Everett McGill: Well, ain't it a small world, spiritually speaking. Pete and Delmar just been baptized and saved. I guess I'm the only one that remains unaffiliated.

No comments: