Thursday, April 15, 2004

Music Snob
When I started out at KUCI, before I even went on air, I felt like I knew nothing. Everyone there seemed to know more than I did, and they did. I latched on to Bill right away, interning on his show every week, absorbing everything he'd tell me. I did form my own opinions, not everything he loved I loved. But I learned a lot about music and radio in my years there. Music snobs were a plenty, and I think I started to become one. When High Fidelity came out, everyone at the station loved it, and it seemed to be to most of us we were those characters or we knew those characters.

I'm annoyed by the fact that there is a song on MTV that is so darn catchy and I love it. Worst of all it is by a band I swore years ago at KUCI that I hated. What's a music lover to do? I don't know. I want to buy the song from iTunes, but I may try to get the album out of the library and see if it's any good. I won't name the band I am referring to, not today anyway. So don't ask.

I remember before Barry (KUCI Alumni) moved to Princeton, he told me how frustrated he was that Sugar Ray had won him over. He hated them, and now he was trying to learn their songs on guitar. I mocked him, and months later, Sugar Ray won me over too. I still hate their song Fly, but I can't get enough of Answer The Phone.

I miss being exposed to new, unknown indie music. Now it just seems like so much work. With all my free time, I should be tuning into KUCI online. Oh that Bill were doing a show, I would tune in. In truth there are a lot of great dj's still at KUCI, and some great shows still on from when I was there.

I watched The Quiet American, so now I'm ready for the book. It was a good movie, and the acting was really well done. I don't watch many movies like that, but I was glad I broke out of my box and watched it. Brendan Fraser doesn't get enough credit for his dramatic work (see Gods & Monsters). But Michael Caine is awesome, I always enjoy his performances (see Miss Congeniality, The Cider House Rules, Without A Clue, Mr. Destiny).

I'll close with a quote from Miss Congeniality. I'm thrilled they are doing a sequel, and that Michael Caine will be back for that. :)

Gracie Hart: Look I know what I'm gonna do. I haven't done this since high school but it's like riding a bike.
Victor Melling: You are not having sex on this stage.
Gracie Hart: I didn't know that was an option.

No comments: