Thursday, February 10, 2005

The Bermuda Triangle
Jay: Well, this is fate! She's divorced, we don't want to redo the cabinets, and you need a wife. What do they call it when everything intersects?
Sam Baldwin: The Bermuda Triangle.

Yesterday was a strange day for coincidences. I was reading on edmontonjournal.com about the former Edmonton Chief of Police plotting to set up an Edmonton Sun writer. And while I'm reading this story, I'm thinking, that's entrapment. Then that afternoon I was watching Ed (because I had taped it) and the woman Ed was defending in court was being accused of entrapment. I thought that was weird. Later in the evening, I was watching The Factor, and Bill's guest was talking about Churchill (you can't turn to any station without hearing about Churchill) and how Churchill said that smallpox was given to the Native Americans by blankets from the government. That they intentionally infected these people. It's being disputed by some, and I don't really know anything about that to say it's truth or fiction. Wouldn't it be hard to prove? But last night, in reading my Canadian History For Dummies, Will Ferguson said the British may have done that exact thing to the Natives in Canada (in 1763).

I just thought it was a strange set of coincidences.

As I said, every channel is talking about Churchill. I'm getting really tired of it. I just want it to stop. This morning, Gov. Owens (whom I generally like) said something that set Geoff off into "scream at the tv" mode. He (Owens) said he didn't want to pay Churchill's salary, that he signs his paycheck. The truth is that the state barely gives anything to the University. It contributes like nil to the post secondary institutions, and is always cutting what little funds it gives. Mary says the UC schools also get the least amount of money from their alumni in the whole U.S. They just don't breed loyalty. I think it would be best for the Gov. to just stop talking, and let Churchill just keep talking the noose around his neck. We'll see what happens.

Mary stopped by this morning to take me to lunch. It was quite a nice surprise. We went to Gunther Toody's which is a neat little diner. A lot like Ruby's (for those who've been to Ruby's), or Johnny Rockets. The menu offered quite a bit, and the prices were reasonable. Our waitress was Rizzo, and she almost had enough flair on to rival Brian.

Well, nothing else is going on. I wanted to point out I have been adding to the list of blogs I read, some new ones have appeared, and I organized them by gender. No real reason for that, just it was looking odd to me. Feel free to peruse them at your leisure. I'm going to close with a quote from Mulan.

Mushu: OK, let's see what you got. "From General Li. Dear Son, We're waiting for the Huns at the pass, it would mean a lot you if come to back us up." Hmm, that's great, except that you forgot "and since we're out of potpurrori, perhaps you wouldn't mind bringing up some." HELLO. This is the army. Make it sound more urgent please. You know what I'm talking about?

No comments: