Wednesday, February 16, 2005

What's Going On
Golly, where should I start? Not much is going on, but I had stuff I wanted to post about. We spent a quiet night in, since we kinda already did the anniversary celebration at Copper Mountain. We had leftovers for dinner, and watched Celebrity Poker Showdown & Scrubs.

We caught a mouse in the trap Geoff set in our balcony roof. There is a big hole in the roof of the balcony, and we awoke Monday morning to see a little mouse body hanging down from the opening. Disturbing, and almost a little comical in a morbid sense. No more have made their way into the house, much to Honey's dismay. But that hasn't stopped her from looking for them.

Since we are in the home stretch of the pregnancy (4 more weeks), we're just trying to make sure the house is ready. I think we'll have to take some stuff to Goodwill this weekend.

Sunday was a pretty powerful morning at church. I broke down in tears during worship, since the band played I Can Only Imagine. I can usually hear the song on the radio and be okay, but there is something about hearing it in God's House. Also, it was prefaced with a video by the guy who wrote the song talking about losing his dad to cancer. The message was equally powerful, and I felt like the Scripture verse and message were directed right at me. Pastor Jim talked about relationships with God, and how there are 3 kinds of people. Those who are drowning, those clinging to the boat (or surfboard), and those who are in the boat. The key verse, that summed me up, was Mark 9:24, I do believe, help me overcome my unbelief. I'm totally clinging to the surfboard in the water, getting bashed around. But I should be in the boat. This may not make sense to some of you, but to some it may make perfect sense.

A conversation on Sunday also made me realize just how blessed I am. I found out this couple we know who are pregnant, are going to lose their baby. They've known for months the baby isn't going to live, he has a neurological problem. Once he is delivered, he won't survive on his own. The wife is going to carry him to term, and get induced a few weeks before the due date. They already have a year old daughter. But my heart just broke, because they were so excited about this baby. And this couple is amazing. This has only brought them closer to each other and the Lord. I hope they will be able to try again, and I just wish I knew if there was anything I could do for them. I feel overwhelmingly blessed by the fact that our baby is healthy, and that we get to have a son in a few weeks.

Okay, I think I should change topics. What the heck is going on in Canada? (No offense to my fellow Canadians) Vancouver is going to give away heroin to addicts for research? Sigh, that's Canada for you. Land of the wacky ideas. (To defend Canada, Vancouver is a strange place. It's like an American city, except it's in Canada)

The stir around Ward Churchill has quieted down (FINALLY!). It's nice to not have to hear about it every day. I guess the big thing on the news these days is the boy from NC being found guilty for killing his grandparents. I didn't really follow this story, but I thought the idea of them blaming it on an antidepressant (Zoloft) was a bad defense. Geoff thinks we should be calling this the Blame Generation, since it seems everyone is so quick to point blame rather than accept responsibility for their actions.

Did you read about what Chris Rock had to say about the Academy Awards? I think he's a odd choice for host, but we'll see how he does. I don't know how much of the show will hold my attention, since I'm not really rooting for any particular movie.

The weather sucks here. It was really nice for a while, and I wondered if I would be able to put away our parkas. But it has turned cold again. I get spoiled by good weather, and then I wimp out when it turns cold again. It's still not as cold as Edmonton, so that's my silver lining.

I'm going to close with a quote from The Mummy Returns.

Evelyn: No harm ever came from opening a chest.
Rick: Yeah, no harm ever came from reading a book either. Remember how that one went?

No comments: