Saturday, May 29, 2004

In The Home Stretch
So, the vacation is nearly over, but it's picking up speed. Tonight is Ruth's Chris with Ryan & Kana, and tomorrow we head into the desert for Palm Springs.

The wedding.

It was beautiful. It was wonderful. It was very Chris & Ashley. The day was kind of gloomy, no sun, and a slight breeze. It was in the backyard/garden of a Victorian Tea House, with lovely flowers, a gazebo, and a waterfall. The ceremony was short, Jake got teary giving away his daughter, and Chris & Ashley looked so happy. Ashley's dress was simple, her hair was perfect. The wedding very much matched the garden in it's look & feel. Chris picked out a John Denver song that Dana sang, and it was beautiful. After the ceremony, we had the best hors d'oeuvres, beef on a stick with a peanut dipping sauce, and bbq chicken pizza. MMMMmmmm. I was hanging out in the backyard by the kitchen, so Kate and I scored tons of them. :)

After some mingling, we went back outside where they had set up the tables, and found our table. Then we had the toast from the best man (which was pretty funny), and the thank you from the groom. I didn't like the taste of the champagne (shock!), but Geoff drank his. A salad was served, and I noticed a menu on the table. The meal coming sounded great to me. After salad, a cleansing of the palate with a Cabernet sorbet. I tried it, not bad, but I couldn't eat the whole thing. The main course was served family style, chicken breast in a white wine sauce (super tasty sauce!), beef medallions in a peppercorn sauce, wild rice, and mixed vegetables. I'm telling you, this white wine sauce made the chicken the favorite dish at our table. Following dinner the couple shared their first dance, to some rendition of I Can't Help Falling In Love. It was sweet, then the father/daughter dance. Then Chris & Ashley went inside to cut the cake, letting everyone know they aren't dancers, so they didn't really want a dance. The cake was cut, then they rallied people into a sitting room for the money dance. After everyone's chance to dance was done, there was the garter toss (only 4 or 5 single guys got out there), and the bouquet toss. The bouquet toss happened so fast, not all the single girls had a chance to get out there. The best man had caught the garter, and one of the bridesmaids caught the bouquet. To Jake & Cindy's delight (I'm sure), no Krolik caught it. At Allison's wedding last June, Ashley had caught her sister's bouquet. But I don't think they thought it would happen so fast. Cake was served, as well as coffee. There was more mingling, then the couple prepared to leave for Fiji. We ducked out before they left.


For a wedding that started at 6:30pm, we left about 10pm. It flowed well. It had an intimate feel, like a small family wedding. We got to chat with some church friends, everyone looked great, it was a good time.

We hit Laguna Beach yesterday before the wedding. I thought it might be cold, as I said, no sun. But it was a perfect day to walk on the beach. I let the ocean kiss my feet, I bought a Christmas gift for Russ (Mom he's going to love it! It's from you-know-where), and I took a picture of Geoff with the ocean in the background.

I probably won't post again until we get home. I don't think there will be opportunity. I had wanted to post pictures from the wedding, but silly us, we forgot to pack the cord for the camera. You'll just have to wait. Looking through the photos, I noticed I don't have one of my dress. But I washed it, and I'm going to wear it to dinner tonight, so I'll try to get Ryan to take a picture.

I'm going to close with a quote from PCU.

Tom: What's he doin?
Droz: He's finishing his senior thesis. Pigman is trying to prove the Caine-Hackman theory. No matter what time it is, 24 hours a day, you can find a Michael Caine or Gene Hackman movie playing on TV.
Tom: That's his thesis?
Droz: Yes! That's the beauty of college these days, Tommy!

No comments: