Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Getting A Little Worked Up
I can get a little worked up at times. It's something God & I are working on, not getting so worked up about stuff. But sometimes I think it is merited. What am I worked up about today? This stupid 9/11 commission. Okay it's trite to say hindsight is 20/20, but for anyone to say now "well I would done things differently/better" is ridiculous. I'm sure that there are dozen of groups daily saying they want to lash out at the U.S. gov't, and for anyone to have the discernment to know which ones have a legitimate shot at succeeding, so they can prevent it, would be miraculous. It was unpreventable. It was tragic, but it has made the U.S. stronger. What good is going to come of blaming each other, and isn't that what they would laughing at? I had hoped that this would make the United States stay united against terrorists. Yes, I'm sure while Mr. Clinton and staff were stealing all the W's off the computers he was saying "oh yeah, deal with this group, because they are going to be your biggest threat. Obviously I couldn't have dealt with it because I was busy with my own problems." As Geoff said this morning, if President Bush had said he was going to attack Afghanistan as preventative measures, everyone (and anti-war Kerry) would have been up in arms (pun intended). But yes, let's blame it all on the mean, stupid, trigger-happy Republicans.

Alright, ranting done. On a lighter note, I caught the new Outkast video Roses and it had Kevin MacDonald in it! Way to go Kevin! I always feel tickled when I see KITH alumni on tv.

Had a pretty good day at work yesterday. I got several "good job" compliments, and I wowed everyone with my peanut butter cookies. :) Hey, I just follow the recipe, and it helps to have great sous-chefs (Geoff & Honey). I forgot to mention I made a fabulously moist chocolate cake last week. It was something else, I don't think I've ever made anything so tasty. I got the recipe off the back of the Hershey's cocoa. Then I went to the Hershey's website to get the high altitude adjustments.

I got a calendar for Christmas (or my birthday) from Diane (my mother-in-law), and it has some inspiring quotes in it. Yesterday's quote was from Martha Washington, "I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not our circumstances". I totally agree with that. I spent way too much of my youth not owning up to my mistakes, and blaming others. And while society would say it's okay for me to blame my parents, I don't think it's wholly their fault. No, I didn't go college, which by the way is foreign here in the U.S. Everyone goes to college. My grades weren't great, and frankly I wasn't motivated to go that far. Also, no money. Sure I could have taken out a student loan, but see points A & B. I'm still not certain I want to eventually go to college, I've done fine without it.

Lance: Dude, I never went to college and check me out. I'm kick ass!

I am still thinking about taking the Paleontology classes at the museum this summer. I'll have to find out when they are being offered, and see how that fits into our summer plans.

I used to have a billion regrets, but I realized years ago that all those mistakes made me who I am. That doesn't mean I don't look back on those decisions and shake my head. But I went through all of that to be who I am. And I'm okay, I'm not so bad. I'm obviously still going to make mistakes, and hopefully not repeat any. But when I was going through that, I thought I'd never see the other side. I spent Meg & Mike's gift opening talking with the parents of my friend Chris from high school, and after we left, they told Diane how they were pleased to see I was happy. They remembered me as a very sad teenager. Goodness yes, I was such a sullen, depressed teenager when I used to hang out with Chris. And they were happy to see that I am a happy well-adjusted young woman. That meant a lot to me.

I'm going to close with a quote from Toys. This quote is pretty much how I like my dinner plate to resemble.

Patrick Zevo: I can't even eat. The food keeps touching. I like military plates, I'm a military man, I want a military meal. I want my string beans to be quarantined! I like a little fortress around my mashed potatoes so the meatloaf doesn't invade my mashed potatoes and cause mixing in my plate! I HATE IT when food touches! I'm a military man, you understand that? And don't let your food touch either, please?

No comments: