Friday, March 19, 2004

Just When I Thought It Was Safe To Go Into The Water
Sigh. I'm still suffering from a sore throat, but it isn't so bad today. I do feel a little lightheaded as well, but... I wanted to blog.

After a day of recouping from our trip, there's talk of a new trip this summer. Right now it's just talk, which is good as I've hardly recovered from this one. A whirlwind, and nearly fitted everyone in. It's impossible to fit everyone in, especially since some people don't get along with others. Once upon a time, we could throw a party and have everyone there. Not so anymore.

Alright, let me get to the stuff I wanted to share before I forget. As I mentioned yesterday, photos are up from the wedding. A good time was had by all. Everyone looked great all cleaned up. It went off without a hitch. I tried to get the dj to play some stuff I wanted to hear, but he didn't have a lot of the songs I wanted to hear, and the one I did ask for he didn't play. Ah, well, that's why I have my iPod. I'm my own dj. :)

Now about the customs agent with attitude. We always get a little tense going through customs as we worry about some agent who decides to pull a power trip (much like the DMV incident). And wouldn't you know it. He was totally looking for a fight. We walked up to the counter and had him our passports & visas. he pulls out the visas, and without looking at them asks (in a curt voice) "what's this?". Geoff tells him it's our visas. He looks at them and asks "are you married?". "Yes". "Legally?" "Yes". At this point, we know there is trouble. He looks over the customs form as I wrote we spent $30. He asks what we bought, so I said souvenirs. "Can you be more descriptive?" Well geez, I dunno. I don't even think I spent $30, it was just a number. "Uh, a book and a cd". In actuality we bought 2 lanyards (for my work), some socks, a bra, and a cd. So he looks at my visa and passport a few times before correcting on my visa that the last person wrote I was on a J-1 visa (I'm on a J-2). I tell you, I was afraid he was going to make something up just to keep us longer. It's crap like that that makes me want to move back to Canada (or become a U.S. citizen).

So Sunday night we went to my Uncle Kim's for dinner. He makes a pizza buffet, 6 different pizzas to choose from, along with salads, breadsticks, and munchies. It's quite an event, and I feel lucky that he invites to come over for it when we are in town. During dinner, Geoff asked if we could put on the Brier. And while there was a hockey game on, Geoff resorted to playing the Wayne card "Wayne would have wanted to watch the Brier". Everyone laughed, and it got put on. And what a time we had watching it! I'm telling you we never laughed so much listening to Uncle Kim give his commentary on the game. And while Alberta lost, it was still fun. We're talking about coming to Edmonton next March as the Brier will be held there. We'll see where we are at in the Fall before we decide. But Uncle Kim thought that sounded good.

Tuesday night Colin & I went to the Oilers game. It was so much fun, and may explain where the sore throat came from. Colin says Georges Laraque scored just for me (He's Dylan's favorite). I haven't been to an Oilers game in likely 10 years. It's a little different. I wondered if I would see anyone from my days working there, and I did. A girl I knew in high school. Really, I remember hanging out with her brother Palmer more than I remember hanging out with her. And wouldn't you know it, if sitting 4 rows down was someone I knew in high school. At least I think it was, I didn't get the chance to say hello to find out. His name is Nathan, and we met in yearbook (for the 2 weeks I was in it). Then I dated two of his friends. Talking with Kirsty, she told me he had asked her out once. Funny how Kirsty and I had talked about him that morning.

Because I'm under the weather, I rented some movies from the library. I got All The President's Men (love it!), Signs (love it!), and Moonlight Mile (haven't seen). I also rented Two Weeks Notice, as I'm on a Sandra Bullock kick. Not enough to rent Speed (I've never seen it). As for Hugh Grant, I dunno. He's kinda give or take. I don't really have an opinion on him. But the movie provided some laughs, so I'll end with two quotes from it.

George Wade: Is this belt tacky or beltacular?
-------------------------------------------------------------
June Carter: Do you know what I like even more than chess?
George Wade: Pokemon?

No comments: